Top 10 Summer Fun Activities for KidsJul 04, 2023 02:28PM ● By Chris Jones
It’s summertime. With every child’s favorite season in full swing, we have a few fun and exciting ways to make sure this summer is one your kids will enjoy.
- Go to the beach or pool. Summer is the perfect time to cool off and have some fun in the sun. Pack your sunscreen, towel, and swimsuit and head to the beach or pool for a day of swimming, sunbathing and building sandcastles. Try Dixon Park, Riverfront Beach or head off for a day at Colonial Beach.
- Visit a water park. Water parks are a great way to beat the heat and have some fun on a hot summer day. With slides, pools, and other water attractions, there's something for everyone at a water park. Check out the Thurston Water Park at the Rappahannock YMCA for wet and wikld fun.
- Go camping. Camping is a great way to get back to nature and enjoy the great outdoors. Pitch a tent in your backyard or go to a campground for a weekend of hiking, fishing, swimming and roasting marshmallows over the campfire. Leesylvania Park or Westmoreland State Park are both a hop and skip away.
- Visit a zoo or aquarium. Zoos and aquariums are a great way to learn about animals from all over the world. Kids will love seeing their favorite animals up close, such as lions, tigers, elephants, penguins and sharks. Try the Metro Richmond Zoo as a close alternative to the National Zoo.
- Go to a museum. Museums are a great way to learn about history, science and art. Many museums offer special programs and activities for kids, making them a great place to visit on a summer day. Spend the day at Fredericksburg Area Museum to bone up on local history.
- Have a picnic in the park. Pack a lunch and head to your local park for a picnic. Kids will love playing on the playground, running around the fields and feeding the ducks. Hurkamp Park and Riverfront Prak are the perfect spots for downtown picnics.
- Go to a baseball game. Baseball is America's favorite pastime, and there's nothing quite like a summer evening at the ballpark. Take the kids to a minor league game or a major league game for a fun night out. FredNats anyone?
- Go on a bike ride. Biking is a great way to get exercise and enjoy the outdoors. Take the kids for a bike ride on a nearby trail or around the neighborhood. A day on the Canal Path with the kids is a fun way to spend a Saturday.
- Have a water balloon fight. Water balloon fights are a great way to cool off and have some fun on a hot summer day. Just be sure to use caution and avoid aiming for the face.
- Play outside until dark. Summer is a great time to stay up late and play outside. Let the kids run around, play games, and have fun until the sun goes down.
No matter what you choose to do, make sure to have fun and enjoy the summer with your kids!